Windows 7 Patch - SpellForce - Official Board

News:
08-17-2017, 15:02: SpellForce 3 Collectors Edition + Cinematic Trailer
05-18-2017, 15:52: SF3 Beta startet am 19.5. - Alle Informationen + Updates
01-17-2017, 20:52: alte Forenlinks "reparieren"
08-10-2015, 14:07: [Sammelthread] SpellForce 3 - Alle Infos / Release 07.12.2017
07-04-2012, 21:36: SpellForce-Datenbank ist wieder da - Ein WiKi soll entstehen
08-30-2009, 20:03: Patchübersicht

Herzlich Willkommen im offiziellen SpellForce Forum!

Du betrachtest das Forum zur Zeit als Gast, was deine Zugriffsrechte bei Diskussionen und anderen Dingen enorm einschränkt. Wenn du dich hier registrierst, was natürlich völlig kostenlos ist, dann wirst du Beiträge und Themen erstellen, Private Konversationen mit anderen Mitgliedern führen, bei Umfragen abstimmen, Inhalte uploaden und vielen andere Dinge können. Die Anmeldung geht schnell von Statten, ist enorm einfach und kostenlos, daher würden wir dich ersuchen, dich zu registrieren!

Falls es Probleme mit der Anmeldung oder dem Zugriff auf einen Account gibt, stehen wir dir gerne über die Kontaktseite mit Rat und Tat zur Verfügung.

SpellForce Newsletter
Gib deine E-Mail Adresse in das Feld ein, um immer über die letzten Neuigkeiten zu SpellForce informiert zu werden

Zurück   SpellForce - Official Board > SpellForce - English Forum > SpellForce 2 - Shadow Wars > Shadow Wars - Technical Support
Registrieren Hilfe Benutzerliste Kalender Suchen Heutige Beiträge Alle Foren als gelesen markieren

Shadow Wars - Technical Support For everything technical related (Crashes, installations problems, errors,...)

Antwort

Themen-Optionen
Alt 06-06-2009, 19:07   #1
Sora

Windows 7 Patch

Hello,

I have been having issues with running SpellForce 2 on my Setup, which runs Win7. The issue being the Starforce copy protection. After installing the game and trying to run it, it prompts to install starforce, I ok it and it wants to reboot the computer, that goes fine aswell. Then however win7 upon rebooting goes into safe mode and repairs the system, which amounts to bringing it back to a point prior to SpellForce 2 being installed.

I saw that SpellForce 2 is using starforce 3.7.13.0. Much to my dismay I read at the Starforce homepage homepage that versions of starforce lower than 3.7.15 are not supported by win7.
However I also found the following:

StarForce offers free re-protection for all the developers and publishers of the programs that utilize version 3.07.014 and earlier to release the appropriate patches. Please contact us at sales@star-force.com for re-protection and further details.

So the big question remaining is: will there be a win7 compatability patch for SpellForce 2. This I am sure will be very appreciated by the ever growing amount of win7 users out there.

- Thanks.
Sora ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 06-06-2009, 19:35   #2
Free Flinker
Moderator a.d.

Benutzerbild von Free Flinker

There doesn't need to be a patch, simply download and install the latest version of the relevant copy protection yourself.

Please note that game related questions should be asked via forum posting, not PMs. Thanks
Free Flinker ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 06-06-2009, 19:59   #3
Sora

Thank you for replying,

I am sad to say though that I already tried that, I downloaded the update tool from here: Starforce udate tool. However when running it (I even ran it as administrator) it told me that there were no drivers to update. Leaving me baffled as to what to do next.

Edit:
I tried saying "no" when the starforce installer asked me to restart my computer, which as mentioned earlier would cause windows to restore itself to a point prior to the softwares installation. Afterwards I ran the update utility, it said it updated the files, restarted my PC, when trying to run the game I was met with the screen shown in the attachment labeled "Fail"

Worth noticing is that windows gave some error messages after the installation saying that it required signed drivers. I was most likely referring to the starforce drivers not being signed and thus being rendered unavailable.

- Thanks
Angehängte Grafiken
Dateityp: png Fail.png (239,1 KB, 41x aufgerufen)

Geändert von Sora (06-06-2009 um 20:19 Uhr).
Alt 06-06-2009, 20:32   #4
Sora

Sorry for double posting.

I just reinstalled the drivers or at least tried to, attached is a picture of what happened. Hope this helps you help me resolve the issue.

- Thanks
Angehängte Grafiken
Dateityp: png warning failed to install driver.png (288,1 KB, 41x aufgerufen)
Alt 06-06-2009, 23:19   #5
Free Flinker
Moderator a.d.

I can only suggest you try contacting Starforce support and enquire as to whether they have a digitally signed version of their software available. If not then you should ask them when/if one will become available.

There's not really anything else to do, if Windows 7 requires software to be digitally signed. Seems like paranoid overkill on MS's part since plenty of people use unsigned drivers, like beta ones, without any problems. It was similar when Vista was released, with the UAC feature, something that drives me nuts when it does nothing but hinder me from doing what I want on my own pc. Sounds like they've done it again, using measures that hinder the user more often than a hacker instead of making an OS that's harder to crack in the first place. But perhaps there is some way to turn it off, as there is for UAC? You'd need to check a relevant site, or ask MS about the possibility.

Please note that game related questions should be asked via forum posting, not PMs. Thanks
Alt 06-07-2009, 22:02   #6
Sora

I think a Windows 7 compatability patch from JoWooD might indeed be the only solution to this problem, please read the first post of this thread: Starforce support statement on Win7
Alt 06-07-2009, 22:29   #7
Free Flinker
Moderator a.d.

Well, SF2: FiD is in development so it's possible that they may consider doing something. Or maybe not since DS doesn't have any CP, it also being an addon so requiring the original game, and FiD might/will probably be the same. Also, only the original SF2:SW used starforce protection and then not in every part of the world. Later releases, like UE, didn't use starforce. Therefore, given that the game was developed for 32 bit XP, not Vista, not 64bit OS's and definately not Win7 (technically, you could say they are unsupported), as well as the fact that Win7 is new and not many have it, you might be out of luck.

Anyways, just reasoning out loud that while you should keep your fingers crossed, there are several reasons why such a patch might not happen.

Alt 06-07-2009, 22:53   #8
Sora

I heard somewhere that there is a SpellForce 2 version out there that uses the Tages copy protection instead. Tages works on Win7 seeing as The Witcher Enhanced Edition employs it and I have that running flawlessly. Would you know where I could pick up a copy of that version then? Seeing that it seems unlikely that any changes will be made to make the version using starforce win7 compatible.

Thanks for your continued help.
Alt 06-07-2009, 23:16   #9
Free Flinker
Moderator a.d.

It's far too early to tell what, if anything, can be done about this since your post is the first time this specific info has been brought up here on these boards. I was merely 'thinking out loud' since there are several legitimate reasons why this might not happen and I didn't want to raise any hopes, but I am certainly not trying to make any predictions. Therefore you might want to wait, at least for a short time, and see if there is any official word.

What CP was used was area specific so such as the North American, Austrailian and Spanish versions were all released using Tages (all come with the same language options afaik and contain the exact same program, give or take any printing errors or, of course, the CP used). Later releases, like Universe Edition, didn't use starforce either. I'm not sure what copy protection the Steam version uses. On the plus side, the game isn't that expensive anymore and if you don't have SF1 then it's definately worth getting the UE edition for that alone, assuming you can get hold of a copy that will work on your OS. I have seen the occasionally copy of the UE on store shelves but online is probably your best bet.

Oh and thanks for the head's up. You've probably saved me some money eventually since I own several starforce protected games, some even older than SF2 so not very likely to be patched. Means I won't be getting Win7 in the foreseeable future, unless I get so bored of those games I'll never play them again (happens occasionally, that I clear out my old stuff).

Alt 06-07-2009, 23:38   #10
Sora

Zitat:
Zitat von Free Flinker Beitrag anzeigen
Oh and thanks for the head's up. You've probably saved me some money eventually since I own several starforce protected games, some even older than SF2 so not very likely to be patched. Means I won't be getting Win7 in the foreseeable future, unless I get so bored of those games I'll never play them again (happens occasionally, that I clear out my old stuff).
Well I guess nothings so bad that it is't good for something.

If you are certain that the Universe Edition doesn't use Starforce then me getting that version might be what's going to happen in the end. I'm quite saddened about that development though as I have the Collectors Edition. I guess I will just have to use the CE CD key with the Universe Edition then.

Edit:
Speaking of SpellForce 1 I think Securrom was used as CP for that game, do you know if Securrom is still used on it in the Universe Edition, as that might also give some problems in win7.

Geändert von Sora (06-07-2009 um 23:48 Uhr).
Alt 06-08-2009, 00:50   #11
Lornik
Super Moderator
Graue Eminenz
Fiara-Brigade

Benutzerbild von Lornik

RPG Character: Brahir
There has been an official CP-workaround for German Spellforce 2 Shadow Wars. Maybe you can use the linked Spellforce2.exe to play but I'm not sure how the language will work or whether it will work anyway but it might be worth a try.

Here is the link to the German thread. In step 3 there is the link to download the zip-file.

http://www.spellforce.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52710

So long

Lornik

Wilhelm Busch
Lornik ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 06-08-2009, 13:14   #12
Free Flinker
Moderator a.d.

Zitat:
Zitat von Sora Beitrag anzeigen
If you are certain that the Universe Edition doesn't use Starforce then me getting that version might be what's going to happen in the end. I'm quite saddened about that development though as I have the Collectors Edition. I guess I will just have to use the CE CD key with the Universe Edition then.
It's no consolation but I wholeheartedly agree that it won't be an ideal solution if you have to buy again something you already own. In fact, it'd downright suck but if that does happen then I can't help laying the blame on MS's doorstep; you may disagree with me on that bit but they must've known their decision would cause problems, particularly on some older pieces of software.

I guess that in the meantime we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that a solution can be found that doesn't involve anyone having to re-purchase the game. That in mind, I hope what Lornik suggested will work for you.

Zitat:
Edit:
Speaking of SpellForce 1 I think Securrom was used as CP for that game, do you know if Securrom is still used on it in the Universe Edition, as that might also give some problems in win7.
I don't own the UE so I really don't know anymore than others have reported here, sorry. Maybe someone else will be able to provide the answer.

Alt 06-08-2009, 15:22   #13
Sora

Zitat:
Zitat von Lornik Beitrag anzeigen
There has been an official CP-workaround for German Spellforce 2 Shadow Wars. Maybe you can use the linked Spellforce2.exe to play but I'm not sure how the language will work or whether it will work anyway but it might be worth a try.

Here is the link to the German thread. In step 3 there is the link to download the zip-file.

http://www.spellforce.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52710

So long

Lornik
Thanks for your help aswell Lornik.

I tried out the fixed .exe and was able to enter the game. All sound during cutscenes is gone though. I think that is where the language difference comes into play. However while reading through the thread I read that the UE indeed does come without Starforce so not all is lost. I guess it will indeed be the UE for me, seeing as the game is not that expensive anymore and I was out to get Dragon Storm anyway I might aswell.
Alt 12-20-2016, 07:37   #14
MacdaddyD

Can anyone provide the link for the patch/patches needed to play spellforce 2 shadow wars on windows 7 I lost their location

Ill have to save them to a disk this time to prevent future problems

The process was not TOO complicated the first time..FINDING the patches was though

I might have missed the links earlier in this forum if so i apologize
I have SP2 installed and when i run as administrator it just doesnt do anything :P
MacdaddyD ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 12-20-2016, 08:11   #15
Lornik
Super Moderator
Graue Eminenz
Fiara-Brigade

Benutzerbild von Lornik

RPG Character: Brahir
There is this thread on top of the board

If you need more help, guiding you through the installation process, please provide more detailed questions than just "I need help".

So long

Lornik

Wilhelm Busch
Lornik ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Antwort

Themen-Optionen