[HowTo: SF2 & win 64] Protection System Library installation problem - SpellForce - Official Board

News:
08-17-2017, 15:02: SpellForce 3 Collectors Edition + Cinematic Trailer
05-18-2017, 15:52: SF3 Beta startet am 19.5. - Alle Informationen + Updates
01-17-2017, 20:52: alte Forenlinks "reparieren"
08-10-2015, 14:07: [Sammelthread] SpellForce 3 - Alle Infos / Release 07.12.2017
07-04-2012, 21:36: SpellForce-Datenbank ist wieder da - Ein WiKi soll entstehen
08-30-2009, 20:03: Patchübersicht

Herzlich Willkommen im offiziellen SpellForce Forum!

Du betrachtest das Forum zur Zeit als Gast, was deine Zugriffsrechte bei Diskussionen und anderen Dingen enorm einschränkt. Wenn du dich hier registrierst, was natürlich völlig kostenlos ist, dann wirst du Beiträge und Themen erstellen, Private Konversationen mit anderen Mitgliedern führen, bei Umfragen abstimmen, Inhalte uploaden und vielen andere Dinge können. Die Anmeldung geht schnell von Statten, ist enorm einfach und kostenlos, daher würden wir dich ersuchen, dich zu registrieren!

Falls es Probleme mit der Anmeldung oder dem Zugriff auf einen Account gibt, stehen wir dir gerne über die Kontaktseite mit Rat und Tat zur Verfügung.

SpellForce Newsletter
Gib deine E-Mail Adresse in das Feld ein, um immer über die letzten Neuigkeiten zu SpellForce informiert zu werden

Zurück   SpellForce - Official Board > SpellForce - English Forum > SpellForce 2 - Shadow Wars > Shadow Wars - Technical Support
Registrieren Hilfe Benutzerliste Kalender Suchen Heutige Beiträge Alle Foren als gelesen markieren

Shadow Wars - Technical Support For everything technical related (Crashes, installations problems, errors,...)

Antwort

Themen-Optionen
Alt 06-14-2011, 17:03   #1
Warz

[HowTo: SF2 & win 64] Protection System Library installation problem

I could not find anybody else with this error so i will explain what my problem is;

I bought Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars from Amazon.co.uk, I install the game and then a new window will appear telling me i need to add libraries to my computer and by clicking 'yes' it will do it for me. Here is the picture:

However, upon pressing yes, my laptop will restart but will then enter windows recovery, it will search for problems and then start "fixing" them but when it is all finished, spellforce is not installed and neither is directx.

If anybody has had a similar problem or knows how to fix this i would love it as i love the spellforce games.

Thanks, Warz

Geändert von Warz (06-14-2011 um 17:11 Uhr).
Warz ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 06-14-2011, 17:39   #2
Warz

Zitat:
Zitat von Warz Beitrag anzeigen
my laptop will restart but will then enter windows recovery, it will search for problems and then start "fixing" them but when it is all finished, spellforce is not installed and neither is directx.
Sorry for double posting but i could not edit my first post anymore :S

the windows recovery is called startup repair(i couldnt remember the name to begin with. i still get the same error apart from both directx and the game are installed but i am still having trouble with the library thing.
Alt 06-14-2011, 17:54   #3
Sam Hotte
Super Moderator

you could try finding appropiate updates to starforce from its website.
Or get yourself an edition of SF2 without starforce (e.g. gold edition)

Or remove starforce and use the official copy protection free .exe:

1. de-install SF2 from system.
2. remove starforce
3. restart system.
4. install Sf2
5. install patch 1.02
6. replace .exe with cp-free from here
7. remove starforce again. (->2.)
8. reboot and play

(DO NOT start game at any time before 8.!)

Note: actual download links for steps #5 and #6 are in post 'patch info' in the news section at board's very top!

Geändert von Sam Hotte (12-28-2013 um 23:40 Uhr). Grund: links adjusted
Sam Hotte ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 06-14-2011, 22:27   #4
Warz

I'll give it a go but starforce doesnt install, as soon as i click 'yes' to install it, my laptop restarts and enters start-up repair.

i'll edit this post with my progress after following those steps.
Alt 06-15-2011, 00:45   #5
Warz

once again there was no edit button on my post

i have tried your steps above and it STILL wants me to install te protection system. i have tried everytihng else i can think of and nothing works. i really wanted to play this game, JoWood, why use such an annoying thing on your game? D:
Alt 06-15-2011, 02:37   #6
Sam Hotte
Super Moderator

Of course it wants to install the copy protection - thats why you have to remove it.

But since you're probably using the 64bit version of win 7 (without telling us ) I remember the following:

Everytime you need to (re)boot windows before and during installation process - hit F8 and choose "deactivate driver signature check" (or similar).
Thus it should be possible to install the 'not made for 64bit'-starforce drivers.

If successful proceed with the given scheme ...

Geändert von Sam Hotte (06-15-2011 um 02:38 Uhr). Grund: Editing is IIRC possible only within 15 min after posting.
Alt 06-15-2011, 12:51   #7
Warz

I followed what you have said to the letter and i will post what i did.

Un-installed Spellforce 2
Removed starforce using sfdrvrem.exe
reboot, F8, disable digital driver signature thing
installed game
patched
nowhere to copy the new launcher - i will attach a picture
removed starforce using sfdrvm.exe (again)
reboot, F8, disable digital driver signature
only shows patch as being installed and not the game...

here is the picture of the destination folder for spellforce 2:

I have tried a different guide aswell which provided a updater but, no luck either.

Progress report:
Times rebooted - 15
Times start-up repair has launched - 7
Time spent trying to get this to work since i got the disc - 32 hours

I officialy HATE Starforce, if this is included in future Spellforce games, i think JoWood have lost a sale
Alt 06-15-2011, 15:03   #8
Sam Hotte
Super Moderator

You would have written them, if there had been any error messages or the like, wouldn't you?!

You must have messed something up because IIRC the installer of the patch should have complained about not finding the game installation if there was no installation at all.

And what exactly is the mentioned "new launcher"?

And, yes, everybody hates Starf*ck because it really sucks. BUT:
1. There probably won't be any further spellforce games.
2. did remove Starf*ck from the game(s), newer Editions of SF2 come with tages or no cp at all.
3. It was YOUR idea to install an 5 year old game with an OS that the game could not been made for since even the OS' predecessor did not exist then (not to mention 64bit version which the game was not made for either).
Alt 06-15-2011, 17:11   #9
Warz

I didnt do anything wrong in the installation, when i have installed everything on the disc(the game, protection libraries, xfire and directx) nothing else appears in that destination folder. i have tried installing without the libraries, and suprise suprise, no change.

i followed your instructions to the letter, and the new launcher is the cp-free launcher, it should be called 'Spellforce2' if you can see it on my desktop.

I tried installing this on a friends computer which has windows XP service pack 3 and it doesn't work on his comp either =/

if anybody can make a video of what they did to install the game on win7 x64, i might be able to find out what is different.

EDIT: i will make my own vid of the installation so you can see what i mean.

Geändert von Warz (06-15-2011 um 17:40 Uhr).
Alt 06-15-2011, 22:02   #10
Sam Hotte
Super Moderator

Zitat:
Zitat von Warz Beitrag anzeigen
I tried installing this on a friends computer which has windows XP service pack 3 and it doesn't work on his comp either =/
Assuming this is WinXP 32 bit - there's something terribly wrong:
On a 32 bit Windows XP the game (and Starforce) should work out of the box.

Maybe both of you are running some very restrictive security Software? Disable them (for testing)!

Forget to use an administrator's account for installation?

Sorry, im being quite clueless right now.
Alt 06-15-2011, 23:36   #11
Warz

I fixed it, turns out i had to create the Installation folder myself and re-locate the destination in the installation for it to install properly as before that it was installing in 3 seperate places lol.

after i did all that i ran through the steps again and it works fine now

Thank you for the help, without it i would still be stuck D:
Alt 06-16-2011, 00:24   #12
Sam Hotte
Super Moderator

Glad you could figure it out.

It's amazing: once one does it right - it works.
Alt 08-02-2011, 19:15   #13
stigy111

protection system problem

I have a similar problem. when its installed it says [aplication installed reboot to complete] or somthing like dat and when i reboot it says the same thing. ive tried several times and still says the same thing. i have the 1.02 patch aswell and still nothing.

any advice would be great thanks
stigy111 ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 08-02-2011, 20:48   #14
Lornik
Super Moderator
Graue Eminenz
Fiara-Brigade

Benutzerbild von Lornik

RPG Character: Brahir
Did you run the installation and the game with Administrator-privileges? If not do so. It should fix your problem, as the cp-driver can only be installed with higher privileges.
As an alternative you can download the official cp-free Spellforce.exe. You can find the download-link in the patch-list.

So long

Lornik

Wilhelm Busch
Lornik ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 08-02-2011, 21:23   #15
Sam Hotte
Super Moderator

Additionally if you are running a 64bit version of Windows:

Zitat:
Zitat von Sam Hotte Beitrag anzeigen
But since you're probably using the 64bit version of win 7 (without telling us ) I remember the following:

Everytime you need to (re)boot windows before and during installation process - hit F8 and choose "deactivate driver signature check" (or similar).
Thus it should be possible to install the 'not made for 64bit'-starforce drivers.

If successful proceed with the given scheme ...
Alt 12-28-2013, 23:23   #16
KrysTOFF

Hello,

Sorry to bother you but link indicated here is dead "6. replace .exe with cp-free from here"...
Do you know where I can get the proper file ?
KrysTOFF ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 12-28-2013, 23:32   #17
Sam Hotte
Super Moderator

Zitat:
Zitat von KrysTOFF Beitrag anzeigen
Sorry to bother you but link indicated here is dead "6. replace .exe with cp-free from here"...
Do you know where I can get the proper file ?
Sure, just read in the same post until you find this:
Zitat:
Note: actual download links for steps #5 and #6 are in post 'patch info' in the news section at board's very top!
Alt 12-28-2013, 23:42   #18
KrysTOFF

Zitat:
Sure, just read in the same post until you find this:
Found it, I searched in the technical part of the forum and didn't find any "patch info" topic. Thanks.
KrysTOFF ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 12-28-2013, 23:53   #19
Sam Hotte
Super Moderator

Zitat:
Zitat von KrysTOFF Beitrag anzeigen
Found it, I searched in the technical part of the forum and didn't find any "patch info" topic. Thanks.
You're welcome.

We keep those links in a sticky in "news and announcements" to have them all in one place; provides for easier maintenance of actual and working links
(Otherwise we would have to take care of many posts in several threads in different sub-boards - which will most likely result in some posts being forgotten and outdated thus being not useful)

However, I've just fixed the outdated links in this very thread here as a result of your question.

Themen-Optionen