Kernel Error - SpellForce - Official Board

News:
12-02-2013, 12:23: The Demons of the Past Advent calendar 2013
06-19-2013, 12:30: SpellForce 2 - Demons of the Past
04-08-2008, 20:57: Current Patch Info for SF1 & 2

Welcome to the official SpellForce board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Spellforce Newsletter
To stay up to date with the latest news regarding Spellforce please enter your email address in the box

Go Back   SpellForce - Official Board > SpellForce - English Forum > SpellForce 1 > Technical Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technical Support For everything technical related or installation problems

Old 04-07-2009, 10:44   #1
ESR1
Banned

Question Kernel Error

Hi, i have been able to play this game before, but just reasently i changed to a 64bit vista laptop, (Acer Aspire 8730)

and on this machine i keep getting this error
"Conflict: a Kernel problem has occurred. Please disable all Anti-Virus programs and debuggers."

i disabled Norton ANti-Virus, and still get the same error, and aside from that i do not have any other anti-viruses programs.

as for debuggers i do not use any on this computer.

any help would be much appreciated.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/7/2009, 00:38:16
Machine name: ESR1-LAPTOP
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 8730
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4090MB RAM
Page File: 2523MB used, 5831MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9600M GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0649&SUBSYS_017E1025&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2799 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB
Shared Memory: 1789 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 945 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum,nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2um, nvwgf2umx.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7924 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/21/2008 23:07:00, 5971968 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4509-11CF-616D-752101C2CA35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0649
SubSys ID: 0x017E1025
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_B ModeWMV9_B ModeVC1_A ModeWMV9_A

i removed the rest, if needed, ill post it but the file is huge lol
ESR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47   #2
ESR1
Banned

Also i think i posted this before, so if it was deleted please note not sure if im posting in the incorrect section or if im posting something that isn't allowed, if i am please let me know.

if it wasn't deleted i most-likely didn't post it correctly >.<
Old 04-07-2009, 13:33   #3
Free Flinker
Moderator a.d.

Kernel problems are down to registry errors and can cause serious problems. I suggest you search someplace like google, about how to fix it.

The thing is, this game was released before 64 bit OS's were even available so it wasn't written for them and isn't supported. You may have to wait for advice from someone who's got it working on a 64bit Vista, if anyone even has.

Please note that game related questions should be asked via forum posting, not PMs. Thanks
Free Flinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 21:31   #4
Aeos
Narr

Which game version/edition do you use?
Dream - Sandman: Season of Mists
Aeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:05   #5
ESR1
Banned

I did run an registry fix, and still not able to play

and im using version 1.52
i think thats the last patch.

and i thought i had read about 64bit versions able to play this game, ill look into it a bit more, thanks tho
Old 04-08-2009, 09:35   #6
Aeos
Narr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESR1 View Post
I did run an registry fix, and still not able to play

and im using version 1.52
i think thats the last patch.

and i thought i had read about 64bit versions able to play this game, ill look into it a bit more, thanks tho
I meant if you have the platinum edition or TOoD, BoW and SotP in single boxes.
Dream - Sandman: Season of Mists
Aeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:41   #7
ESR1
Banned

i have 2 sets of CD's, Spellforce and one xpac, and another separate set for Shadow of the Phoenix.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:08   #8
Free Flinker
Moderator a.d.

edit: offending post now deleted

It is against the rules to use cracks because it's illegal. Under the new infraction system it's an automatic and permanent ban which I have no choice but to enforce.

However, since you own a legal copy, remove the crack and look for a 64bit version of the copy protection software. I'm not sure what the CP is, perhaps Tages, but maybe someone can confirm what it is for certain.

Please note that game related questions should be asked via forum posting, not PMs. Thanks

Last edited by Free Flinker : 04-09-2009 at 16:28.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:17   #9
Steelers086

Question

I'm getting this error too. I'm also using 64 bit vista setup. I installed everything and the patch, got the error, uninstalled everything, started over and tried to play between each add on. What is strange to me is that if I try to play each game after I install them Order of Dawn works fine (but I had to re-enter in my serial every time I started it until I gave the program admin rights =Þ ), Breath of Winter works fine, then when I install Shadow of the Phoenix... Kernel error. Updated with the patch, still a kernel error. (I think tomorrow when I get home from work I'll uninstall everything and only install the first two and the patch to see what happens) Spellforce 2 Gold even runs just fine. Whatever is different with SotP from all of the others is what is causing the problem. Copy protection not liking the OS? Maybe forced use of the old directx version? Dunno. I'm not a code monkey, just a somewhat disappointed gamer. Google was no help either.

I even tried it in all different compatibility modes with admin rights. Kinda sucks that I finally buy a new PC after 8 years and so far I'm only able to not play one of my old games. =\ Well, only part of it, so that's better then nothing I guess. =Þ Maybe I'll even go as far as borrowing my old laptop back and seeing if I have the issue on that as well, it's running 32 bit vista... Any ideas? It's late, I need sleep because I can't think anymore. =]
Steelers086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 13:17   #10
Free Flinker
Moderator a.d.

Like I suggested to the other guy above, look for a 64 bit version of the copy protection. I think maybe that changed with SotP and it's possible it changed with different distributors too. Someone else will need to confirm which CP it uses though, if you can't figure it out from the game box (my SotP box doesn't say, though it does on the OoD box, well, it has a logo not a name so not much use).

Not all software is coded in the same procedural way so obviously you will always get some discrepancies between what works on a new OS and what doesn't. This game is what, 6 years old, and MS don't even support the OS's that were around when it was released. Fair enough, we ought by now to have moved out of the teething trouble stages all new OS's experience, what with driver availability and such, but this game was not written for 64 bit OS's and they are not supported.

I realise it's not a consolation but these sorts of problems have always occured when using software on an OS that wasn't around when it was developed. I've got a pile of old disks that either won't work or won't work well on a series of new pcs. I've even got some, things like old WP/DB/SS programs (cuz I paid so much for them), from the mid-90's tucked in a box someplace that were written for Windows 95. I may even have some Windows 3.1 software floating around someplace too. The question is, when should these be considered defunct? I'd say the moment you get an OS where they don't work properly. When that will be is anyone's guess but it will happen, eventually.

Oh and the re-entering of the serial number thing is a Vista problem, easily cured, as you've discovered and as noted on the OoD board, by running as admin. It's not a SF problem because it's not the only game that needs to be run as admin, or Vista's UAC turned off, in order to work correctly.